Arcane Explosion

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A game site for cool bros.

House Rules

Celesarn
    Admin

House Rules Empty House Rules

Post  Celesarn Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:34 pm

Having played under a number of DMs, any player (myself especially included) will have gone through a number of different house rules. Specific rules of mine will be posted here, as well as discussions about the possibility of new house rules. Anything I do not specify should be assumed to be applied according to canonical rules of the game, 3.5 version.
    Celesarn
    Admin

House Rules Empty Re: House Rules

Post  Celesarn Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:02 pm

NEW RULE: PREPARING SPELLS

The following classes do not have to prepare specific spells, and can spontaneously cast any spell on their spell list;

Cleric
    Paladin

A cleric must still choose his/her bonus spells received from domains at the beginning of the day.

NEW RULE: CANTRIPS

The following classes ignore the standard numbers indicated for spells per day regarding zero-level spells. They are able to cast as many of these cantrips as desired, representing an attunement for simple magic;

Sorcerer
    Druid
    Cleric
    Bard

Sorcerers and Bards still only know the indicated number of cantrips, but can cast those which they do know freely.

NEW RULE: SPELL DAMAGE
    Any spell cast by a spell-caster does not only the indicated damage, but also does additional damage equal to the bonus granted by the ability score through which they cast spells. For example, just as a Fighter's Strength score of 18 adds +4 to his melee attacks, a Sorcerer with a Charisma score of 18 adds +4 damage to any spell he casts which does damage.

NEW RULE: RANGED WEAPON DAMAGE

A projectile which is fired from a bow of any sort deals not only the standard indicated damage, but also deals additional damage equal to the bonus granted by the user's Dexterity bonus. For example, just as a Fighter's Strength score of 18 adds +4 to his melee attacks, a Ranger with a Dexterity score of 18 adds +4 damage to an attack made with his Longbow.

A thrown weapon deals additional damage based on the Strength score, not the Dexterity score. A bullet flung from a sling deals additional damage based on either Dexterity or Strength; whichever is higher is applied.
    Celesarn
    Admin

Post  Celesarn Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:30 am

Another note, though not worthy of being called a rule, regards the skills of Diplomacy and Bluff. These skills do not, on their own, actually do anything as far as I'm concerned, unless complimenting a role-played scenario. For example, if you are trying to haggle for a better deal with a shopkeeper, simply rolling an 18 on a diplomacy check will not do. You must first role-play your end of the conversation, and then ask for a roll. The roll I make will influence how well what you say is received. If you role-play decently, and roll a 14, you may be well-received. If you role-play poorly against a friendly person, an 18 or 19 will probably save you. If you role-play horridly, only a natural 20 can save you, usually, and if you act exceptionally, I might even give it to you even on a 5 or 6. The same goes with buffing, and sometimes (depending on circumstance) with intimidation.

(Note: Diplomacy checks can actually stand on their own if we are foregoing the roe-play of a situation altogether, and simply making a check. The benefits or penalties will be decided by me in such an instance. Bluffing, on the other hand, is usually entertaining no matter how it plays out, and I should much enjoy role-playing it.)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am